Fasting methods in Europe and the US have completely changed and now practically all European clinics use exclusively juice fasting. This is most often also the case in the US. However there are American practitioners and clinics specializing in fasting which still use the antiquated water fast method.
Again I refer to Juice Fast Pioneer Paavo Airola from his classic book "Are You Confused?":
“I have supervised both types of fasting and am thoroughly convinced of the superiority of juice fasting. Dr. Otto H.F. Buchinger, who supervised more fasts than any other doctor (over 80,000), employed only juice fasting. He told me that, in his experience, fasting on the fresh raw juices of fruits and vegetables, plus vegetable broths and herb teas, results in much faster recovery from disease and more effective cleansing and rejuvenation of the tissues than does the water fast.
The scientific justification of juice fasting
The scientific justification of juice fasting is based on the following physiological facts:
- Raw juices, as well as freshly made vegetable broths, are rich in vitamins, minerals, trace elements and enzymes.
- These vital elements are very easily assimilated directly into the bloodstream, without putting a strain on the digestive system -- thus they do NOT disrupt the healing and rejuvenating process of autolysis, or self- digestion, as suggested by some water fast proponents.
- Contrary to the opinion of some writers, fruit and vegetable juices do NOT stimulate the secretion of hydrochloric adcid in the stomach, which can lead to ulcers. Hydrochloric acitd is mainly secreted when protein-rich foods are eaten.
- The nutritive elements from the juices are extremely beneficial in normalizing all the body processes, suppling needed elements for the body’s own healing activity and cell regeneration, and thus, speeding the recovery.
- Raw juices and vegetable broths provide an alkaline surplus which is extremely important for the proper acid-alkaline balance in the blood and tissues, since blood and tissues contain large amounts of acids during fasting.
- Generous amounts of minerals in the juices, particularly in the vegetable broth, help to restore the biochemical and mineral balance in the tissues and cells. Mineral imbalance in the tissues is one of the main causes of diminished oxygenation, which leads to disease and the premature aging of cells.
- According to Dr. Ralph Bircher, raw juices contain an as yet unidentified factor which stimulates what he calls a micro-electric tension in the body and is responsible for the cells’ ability to absorb nutrients from the blood stream and effectively excrete metabolic wastes.
Thus, raw juice fasting is of particular importance when you fast for the regeneration and the rejuvenation of your body. Juice fasting will help to break down and dispose of the old dying cells, revitalize the active cells, and accelerate the new-building of young, vital cells.
Here is what Dr. Ragnar Berg, perhaps the world’s greatest authority on nutrition and biochemistry, said about the superiority of juice fasting to water fasting:
‘During fasting the body burns up and excretes huge amounts of accumulated wastes. We can help this cleansing process by drinking alkaline juices instead of water while fasting. I have supervised many fasts and made extensive tests of fasting patients, and I am convinced that drinking alkaline-forming fruit and vegetable juices, instead of water, during fasting will increase the healing effect of fasting. Elimination of uric acid and other inorganic acids will be accelerated.And sugars in juices will strengthen the heaart...Juice fasting is, therefore, the best form of fasting.'
Are you fasting or not?
The proponents of water fast like to tell you that the juice fast is not a fast, it is a liquid diet. They misunderstand the therapeutic meaning of fasting. Any condition when your body is encouraged to initiate the process of autolysis, or self-digestion, is fasting. During juice fasting, when no solid foods, proteins or fats are consumed, your body will decompose and burn all the diseased and inferior protein and fat tissues, just as it does during the water fast. Juices are absorbed directly into the bloodstream without the usual process of digestion. The only difference between the juice fast and the water fast is that during the juice fast your body’s eliminative and detoxifying capacity is increased; the healing processes are speeded up and you feel less debilitated. But if someone insists upon calling this superior healing, reducing and rejuvenating method a juice diet, instead of a juice fast, let him do it if it makes him happy.”
Because this is my Newsletter, I am here to tell you, it is the Renegade Grace position that the so-called ‘Master Cleanse’ - misnomer if there ever was one! - is, in my opinion, an extremely poor investment in health, and will ultimately gain you nothing, if you are lucky. If you are not so fortunate, compromised health.
To drink sugar water with no nutrients other than a little lemon is, in my estimation, tantamount to choosing the same inferior effects as a water fast. It has long been solely by the power of the word ‘Master’, that we have become ‘hooked’. Take that hook out of your mouth, little fish!
Go to health! got grace? get grace.
One more blog coming before the next ‘Renegade Grace’ Newsletter - due February 14 - Be sure to sign up!
Give your self a gift!
There’s hidden sweetness
in the stomach’s emptiness
If you’ve lost all will and control,
they come back when you fast,
like soldiers appearing out of the
ground, pennants flying above them.