This blog is a continuation of
Renegade Grace - the newsletter
that goes out monthly to those who have signed up. Past Newsletters are in the Archives. Be sure to start getting these updates by adding yourself to the list today!

SEED SUBJECT OF THIS MONTH:

FORGIVENESS
the gold ring

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Preparation for Fasting

I chose ‘fasting’ because this is how my daughter (age 21, and myself, 68) decided to ‘bring on’ and ‘ring in’ the New Year. A renegade choice in that it is, for sure, not the traditional way of doing things. Some cajoled I was ‘depriving’ my daughter. Hello: she approached me! Exciting, very cool stuff, in my estimation, for a 21 year old to make this request. Hip, rewarding, illuminating and incredibly bonding for us.



I have been to dozens of fasting retreats and conducted many fasting
retreats. I have seen so many persons (not on my retreats, to be sure)
begin fasting without any prep whatsoever. In they walk, up to their
eyeballs in standard-American-diet-mode, and leap the next morning
into fasting. Yikes! Results: 3 or 4 days of agonizing Healing Crisis. A
healing crisis can range from mild headache to migraines, nausea, flu-
like symptoms, and barely able to rise up in the morning as poisonous
toxins flood into the bloodstream. Healing Crises can be hugely
alleviated with proper preparation and common sense.

The better your dietary habits prior to fasting, the more enjoyable the
fast itself. There are very few people who do not know at least the
basic rules of good nutrition. Let’s begin with the most urgent things to
eliminate prior to fasting:

caffeine, alcohol, soft drinks, sugar, dairy, processed foods of any kind.

A processed food is any food that, from nature, has been tampered
with in some way. Can you tell what it is by looking at it? No?
Processed. If it’s in a box, a bottle, a bag, frozen...got the idea.
Cooking, of course, kills approximately 85% (or more) of the vitamins
and all of the natural enzymes that aid in the digestion of that food. If
we are not getting the natural enzymes from the food itself, we ‘rob
Peter to pay Paul’, and the body ages, yep! Finally, eat organic,
eliminate poisons at the source, irradiation, and now - genetic
engineering.

It is not, by the way, necessary to eliminate all cooked foods. No need
to overwhelm yourself at the onset. I recommend lightly steaming
veggies, especially the green leaves. A ‘Prep’ day might look
something like this:

Fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, an avocado, steamed veggies for
dinner. And add some fresh pressed veggie juices throughout the day.
If you must have some grains: be sparing and choose quinoa or millet,
or a baked sweet potato. And from there, continue to cut down. And,
of course, the Magic, miracle food: WATER.

My daughter and I are not big eaters, so as we went into our fast, we
prepped with salad, avocado, olive oil, and a little fruit. We did this for
three days and began fasting on veggie juices (fresh pressed of
course) and a small amount of apple juice.

NEXT BLOG WILL ADDRESS WHY CLEANSING THE COLON IS
ESSSSSSSSENTIAL!!!! DANGER: DO NOT FAST WITHOUT THIS!
Bon appetite!


Remember:
There’s hidden sweetness
in the stomach’s emptiness
-Rumi


If you’ve lost all will and control,
they come back when you fast,
like soldiers appearing out of the
ground, pennants flying above them.
-Rumi

1 comment:

  1. I am currently doing the 9 day Blessed Herbs Colon Cleanse along with the 9 days of colonics. Let me tell you, I am a new woman, all I can say is WOW! I feel GREAT!
    It is a fabulous experience. Grace has done a great job of coaching me through and lifting my spirits during this process, she is an incredibly AWESOME woman.
    Cheri Murray

    ReplyDelete